What happens when there is fuel combustion? The pressurized gases release and mix with the air outside. Now, this is exactly what the exhaust does. The purpose is to release the gases, but once the exhaust starts leaking, we have a problem on hand. The majority of the consumers complain about water dripping from exhaust.
There could be several causes behind this. Some could be quite minor, and other reasons are dangerous. In life, make it a rule that no matter how small the problem is, you need to stay calm and fix it. The same goes for this technical glitch! If you do not fix the issue, it may lead to other problems.
Before we jump to the solutions, let us understand the possible causes – both major and minor.
The Possible Causes of Water Dripping from Exhaust
Let us start with the common causes of water dripping from exhaust.
- The most common cause of water dripping is condensation. During the combustion process, water and carbon dioxide mixture forms and gives rise to water dripping. Why? As the engine starts cooling down, the carbon dioxide and water mixture get released via the tailpipe. This is the cause of water drippings. Once the process of condensation has come to an end, you may notice the water drips. There is nothing to worry about in this case.
- Everyone knows that the gases are harmful to the environment. They cause serious damage to Mother Nature, and that is precisely why the Catalytic converter reduces the toxic gas size. This process is much-needed as it makes the overall functioning of the vehicle environment-friendly. During the process of reducing toxic gases, the converter may leave some drips. These are water vapors that drip from the tailpipe. If you notice droplets due to this cause, it is not a matter of serious concern.
Now let us check out the lethal causes of water dripping from the exhaust. If these are the causes, then you need a quick fix. For starters, you must ensure that you find out the possible cause.
- The heat generated by the engine could be the cause of water drippings. When a person starts the engine, it produces heat. In case you are living in a region where there is snow or extreme cold, then you may find water droplets dripping from the tailpipe. It is basically heat getting amalgamated with cold. The combination of hot and cold leads to water formation. If you give the engine some time to cool down, the water will clear out in some time. In case it does not get clear, you would need an expert to help you out with this problem.
- If the piston is faulty, then it will lead to water dripping from exhaust. Please check if the piston is defective, or it is one of the minor causes mentioned above. It is easy to inspect when the piston is defective because you will find smoke along with water drippings. There are a few instances where you will be able to smell something peculiar. You would know that the piston is faulty. The solution is to get it changed. If you leave it unattended and overthink the costs, then it could be a hazardous issue. When you change the piston, the problem will get resolved.
Identifying the causes:
It can be difficult to identify the real cause of the problem. This is because the pipe gets too hot. People like you, and I cannot hold it and check the problem as it is dangerous to touch the extremely hot pipes.
For starters, do not touch the exhaust if the vehicle was driving a few hours back. Do it the next day so that the pipes get cool.
This keeps you far away from burns and other avoidable injuries. You can also start with a quick visual inspection by popping the hood and finding the exhaust.
Call your friends who know about cars and exhaust. Do a sound inspection? Does it sound peculiar? Are there any leakage sounds? You have to be sure about what the problem is.
These were the possible causes of water dripping from the exhaust. You are now fully aware of the problems that could arise. The question is – What is the fix?
Now do not fret and move on to the next section.
The Best Solutions For Fixing Water Dripping From Exhaust
Dear patrons, you need to stay calm. Any technical problem can be fixed in this world. It may require second person intervention, or you could fix it yourself.
Many people come across a similar issue, but there is a fix for it. Now that you know about the cause of the water dripping, you will be able to understand what needs to be done.
1. For Minor Causes: If the water dripping is caused due to condensation, it will resolve efficiently. You do not have to worry about it a lot.
We mentioned the two minor causes of water drippings – catalytic inverter and condensation. These two issues are common and go away on their own.
Intervention is not needed. In case the water does not clear up, then you have a cause for concern.
The first thing you need to do is check the pipes. Are they leaking? Take the help of a professional to inspect the pipes. If there is a leakage, the professional will fix the problem.
2. For Major Causes: Let us now talk about the serious concerns. As we mentioned above, there are two causes that you need to worry about.
The faulty piston is one major problem, and it may put everything to a standstill. But, you can fix this problem by going to a professional.
Replacement of the faulty piston will fix the issue. If you do not replace the defective piston, it will lead to corrosion.
Note: We may come across problems, but our common thought is to fix it later. We delay specific necessary actions because we do not want to spend enough money. When the problem gets worse, you have to shell out more from your pocket. Attend to the problem as soon as you detect it. This will help you to save time and money!
When you leave your vehicle unattended, you may find smoke coming out from the tailpipe. To avoid this, you can simply change the piston and let it function smoothly.
Please be sure of the real cause of the water drippings. The purpose will determine the solution to the problem. How do you do that? Get your vehicle checked with a professional. They will tell you the exact problem.
If there is a hole or a break in the exhaust, it is impossible to fix it on your own. Remember that the gases that emit from the exhaust are not only bad for Mother Nature but also for human beings. If you inhale these gases, it may lead to several health problems, and sometimes it could be a possible cause for death.
Find a reliable professional and let them inspect. In case you are checking the exhaust yourself, wear a mask or protective shield on your nose and face. Do not inhale the harmful gases.
An important thing to note is that the exhaust may leave white smoke or black smoke. Which one do you see? When the burning of fuel is incomplete, black smoke emits and leads to functioning issues. There may be dirty air filters in your vehicle.
If there is white smoke, you may want to check the cylinder and engine block for cracks. In case these are the issues, fix it immediately by hiring a professional. If you set them now, it will not be a problem later on.
In case you live in a colder region, let the engine cool down, and the water droplets will disappear on their own. It takes some time, but it will go away. This is not a cause for concern. However, check the piston and replace it in case of a defect. For every other reason, you can fix it yourself.
Water dripping from exhaust is a common issue. Hence, check the head gasket, intake gasket, cylinder head, engine, and pipes. Always remember that it is not an unusual phenomenon to find black or white smoke. Water is the end result or the by-product of the combustion process. In case of unfamiliar and peculiar smells and sound, you must get it checked with a professional who deals with these problems daily. You will experience these dripping water issues, but the key is to stay calm and understand the cause.