Say hello to the best automotive Oscilloscope used for measuring time and voltage-based characteristics.
Bid adieu to creaky little analog oscilloscopes. Automotive oscilloscopes are an essential piece of gear. Moreover, motor vehicle technicians use to analyze the overall health of the automobile.
There are two types of scopes available – the handheld oscilloscope one and the PC variant. The vehicle technicians use the handheld variant. Then, the cable is plugged into a specific port in the vehicle. However, it depends on personal preferences.
For fieldwork, the handheld variant works the best. However, some PC variants are precise and efficient. Ideally, one can just carry their handheld Oscilloscope and do the job. But, every technician has a different preference.
Take advantage of our reviews of the best automotive Oscilloscope available in the market. We want our readers to make an informed decision! Along with the reviews of the top automotive diagnostic Oscilloscope, we have added extra information for the readers. In addition, do not forget to check the buying guide and FAQ section.
10 Best Automotive Oscilloscope Reviews
01. Siglent Technologies SDS1202X-E 200 MHz
Let us begin the best automotive oscilloscope list with Siglent Technology’s SDS1202X-E. The device can measure up to 200 MHz.
The product can measure approximately 500 MSPs. Also, while using the product for diagnoses, the in-built fan does not make a lot of noise. Certainly, this is good considering the majority of the products may make weird sounds.
A silent mechanism is much better as compared to a loud one. Hence, the user can work without any interruption in the background.
The product comes with two matching probes of 200 MHz. It is an extremely lightweight product. You can carry it along. Additionally, the product’s outer case is highly durable and prevents scratching.
To top it up, there is a serial bus decoding function. It means that the information will be displayed on the screen in a tabular format.
Further, this product is excellently carved with spencer functionalities and capabilities. This automotive Oscilloscope is not only good for beginners but as well as for professionals to handle complex workloads.
- 100 MHz to 200 MHz
- Two 200 MHz probes
- Record length of 14 Mpts
- The sample rate of 1 GSa/s
- FFT of 1Mpts
- Super phosphor technology.
- WiFi control available on four-channel
- Brand: Siglent Technologies
- Model: SDS1202X-E
- Product weight: 5.5 pounds
- LCD Display: 7-Inch (large)
- Channel: 2
- No audible noise from the in-built fan
- Consumption of 25-Watts
- The refresh rate of the screen is incredibly fast
- Durable casing (outer)
- It comes with a quick user guide
- Captures waveforms of up to 400k in a second
- Lacks touch screen technology.
- The handle is made of plastic, hence breakable
- Only 2 channel device available
When the digital Oscilloscope is in auto-mode, the serial decoding is not as consistent. It is recommended to opt for the manual-normal mode.
02. Siglent SDS1104X-E 100Mhz
The Siglent SDS1104X-E has a bandwidth of 100 MHz. If you are looking for an advanced digital automotive oscilloscope, this should be on your list. It is packed with appealing features. And, it performs reasonably well. One of the best features of the product is that it comes with a built-in web server. Speaking of the built-in web server, it is superlatively powerful.
The 4-channel digital Oscilloscope has a supremely responsive UI and offers 1 GSA/use. Even though the product is towards the expensive side, but it provides positive features. As a result, it is worth the money you pay for it!
Offering top-notch performance, the Siglent SDS1104X-E passes with flying colors. Additional features include varied triggering modes, super phosphor technology, and large screen.
- WiFi control available
- Web browser control available.
- Free serial decoding
- Waveform capture rate of 100,000 wfm/s (normal) & 400,000 wfm/s (sequence).
- 100 MHz to 200 MHz
- The sample rate of 1 GSa/s
- Brand: Siglent Technologies
- Model: SDS1104X-E
- Product Weight: 5.5 pounds
- LCD Display: 7 inch (large)
- Channel: 4
- Powerful performance at the specified price range.
- 4 channel scope
- Signal decoding supported.
- Signal noise level is low
- It has a built-in webserver
- Responsive user interface.
- Dedicated buttons for normal, auto, and single trigger
- The built-in fan is noisy.
It is recommendable to be careful with the 1X/10X switch. In all honesty, it can shift accidentally.
03. LAUNCH X431 V PRO Bi-Directional Scan Tool
A vehicle technician requires a diagnostic oscilloscope, and LAUNCH X431 happens to be a worthy device. The brand entered the market in 1992. Ever since they have managed to impress technicians around the world.
This Pro version is bundled with all the features and functionality of its descender, Pro Mini. The only extra addition in this version is Lenovo Tablet, which is powered by Android 7.1.
However, if you are a professional who requires an advanced tool, the LAUNCH X431 V PRO is the best. A highly efficient device with 11 functions, it performs smoothly. Moreover, a beginner may take time to get accustomed to it.
No matter how tough the outdoor situation is, the scan tool has a durable exterior. Since the LCD screen is large, users can read the diagnoses conveniently. The USP of the product has to be its super-responsive user interface.
Therefore, if you are searching for a professional yet best automotive Oscilloscope, this one does the job.
- Massive storage capacity
- Large display screen
- Bluetooth/WiFi connectivity available
- Bi-directional control
- Supports majority of the vehicles
- 20 reset functions
- Brand: Launch
- Model: X431 V PRO
- LCD Display: 10.1 inch
- Maintenance help provided to buyers
- Comes with 20 reset functions
- Supports 24 languages
- It has bi-directional control
- Codes and reads at a swift pace
- Large storage capacity
- Compatible with most vehicles
- Extremely durable product
- Not the best product for beginners
- Expensive as compared to other products in the market
The advanced scan tool is recommended for intermediate users. It provides a quick diagnosis and a smooth operation.
04. Siglent SHS806 Handheld Oscilloscope
Here’s a handheld diagnostic oscilloscope for technicians who want something handy and portable. That’s the first positive feature of the product. Siglent SHS806 offers advanced trigger options that allow you to see complicated signals.
Isolation of specified signals is possible – thanks to the advanced trigger option. The product has a bandwidth of 60MHz. It is a 2-channel automotive oscilloscope.
Additionally, it has a memory depth of 2 mpts and a sampling rate of 1 GSa/s. Doing a quick automobile electric test is possible with this portable device.
The user gets 2 matching probes in the box. Two are oscilloscope meter probes and the other two are multimeter probes. However, you will also get a user manual and USB cable along with the product.
Siglent makes one of the best automotive oscilloscopes in the market.
- Matching probes included in the box
- 2 mpts of memory depth
- The sampling rate of 1 GSa/s
- The bandwidth of 60 MHz
- 2 Channel oscilloscope
- Portable and lightweight product
- Brand: Siglent
- Model: SHS806
- Channel: 2
- LCD Display: 5.7 Inch
- Handheld portable product
- 2 channel
- 1 GSA/s sampling rate
- Ideal for fieldwork
- Rechargeable battery
- Easy to use
- On-point accuracy
- Battery life is not as impressive
- It takes time to get accustomed to on/off switch
The product is recommended for those who require a portable option. The resolution of the screen is not as praise-worthy but gives accurate results.
05. Electronic CJ4-R
Everyone wishes to buy a product that is easy to use. Electronic CJ4-R is easy to comprehend and does not require too much of mind work. It is one of the best for home users as well as professionals.
This product gives you all the enhanced features of OBD-II, such as improved DTC’s, swift live data, and bidirectional controls, etc.
Moreover, it connects to Bluetooth easily and performs many functions such as memory reset. Oil life reset, transmission programming, idle learning reset, and crankshaft positioning.
The product can be used for diagnosing of over 55 car brands. Most importantly, the automotive Oscilloscope is accessible in the pockets. Whether you are a first-time user or a professional, using the product will be a breeze.
- Ideal for both home users and professionals
- Connects to Bluetooth easily
- The product performs a variety of functions
- Diagnosis of over 55 car brands
- The product is affordable
- Easy to comprehend the mechanism
- Brand: Electronic
- Model: CJ4
- Channel: 2
- Comes with a free application
- Easy to use
- Connects with external displays such as mobile phone and computer
- Has no WiFi feature
The product is easy to use. It is recommended for beginners as well as professionals.
06. Rigol DS1054Z
When it comes to quality products, Rigol is a trusted brand. It is a product that comes with multiple features. But, it may not be the best for beginners. Moreover, advanced-level technicians can use the product with ease.
Not getting too overwhelmed with the advanced features, beginners can still find tutorials on how to use the automotive Oscilloscope.
Further, the users will get four matching oscilloscope probes in the box. Although these work precisely, but the more advanced ones cost extra bucks. The screen size is decent, but it is ideal for those who want to get the job done faster. However, the contrast is praise-worthy, and the brightness can be adjusted.
You get a bandwidth of 50 MHz on one single channel. However, the bandwidth increases as per the number of channels you use. This model becomes more amazing as it is features 4 channels making it handy. At the same time, you look for signal relationships and logic.
Surprisingly, the auto settings work well. Certainly, users will not have a problem using the product.
- The bandwidth is 50 MHz
- It has 4 channels
- Durability is the key.
- It has a USB port at the front
- The auto setting function is plausible
- It comes with four matching probes
- Brand: Rigol
- Model: DS1054Z
- Channel: 4
- Product weight: 6.60 pounds
- Bandwidth: 50MHz
- Accurate calculations
- Brightness and contrast can be easily adjusted
- 4 channel
- 50 MHz bandwidth
- The product comes with a warranty
- Not the best product for beginners.
- Memory is not plausible.
- The screen size is small.
- Loud ventilator
Although it is an accurate product, it has its set of flaws such as loud ventilator and small screen size.
07. Autel MaxiCOM MK808
Autel MaxiCOM MK808 is one of the most reliable and one of the best. If you are searching for a product that fits your budget, then Autel is the right choice. Also, the product does the job efficiently. While you do have other options in the list, but this has some benefits for prospective buyers.
Firstly, it is incredibly lightweight. Since many buyers look for a portable product, this does the job efficiently. It comes with a powerful lithium polymer battery of 3200 mAh. Moreover, the product also offers wireless connectivity.
The automotive diagnostic Oscilloscope is reliable, fast. And, it also comes with a 1-year warranty. However, there are some cons to the product. But, the pros of Autel make it a winning candidate.
As a professional technician, you require accurate results, and this product will pass with flying colors. In addition to this, you need something that solves the purpose.
- One-year warranty
- Lithium polymer battery used of 3200 mAh
- Offers wireless connectivity
- Performs OBD2 functions efficiently
- Reliable and fast
- Accurate results
- Brand: Autel
- Model: Maxicom MK808
- Multilingual support system
- LCD display: 7 inch
- Comes with a multilingual support system
- 7-Inch LCD screen
- Best for professionals
- Tablet-like portable design.
- Easy to use
- Compatibility issues
- Free update is valid for a year.
- Registration process
The brand claims that they offer lifetime free updates, but that is not true. It is only valid for a year.
08. Owon HDS1021M Series
Many technicians across the globe prefer a handheld oscilloscope due to its portability. Owon HDS1021M is the perfect combination of a diagnostic oscilloscope and a multimeter. Since you get the best of both worlds, the product is a must-buy!
The rubber case (orange in color) makes the product sturdy. Dropping it from a height may not cause a lot of damage. Further, a built-in Li-ion battery allows you to use the product for six hours.
The color display is 3.7 inches, and the bandwidth is 20 MHz. Even though it is not as significant as other scopes in the market, but the product does a great job. That’s precisely why we added it to our list.
In the box, you will get the multimeter and digital Oscilloscope. Additionally, it comes with a probe, test leads, adjustment tools (probe), USB cable, a lithium-ion battery, and more. Overall, the product is worth purchasing. Certainly, it comes with all the necessary tools.
- Single-channel product
- It has 20 MHz of bandwidth
- It is portable
- The casing protects the device efficiently
- In-built multimeter enhances the functionality
- Battery power lasts longer
- Brand: Owon
- Model: HDS1021M Series
- Bandwidth: 20 MHz
- Channel: 1
- Battery life is praise-worthy
- The casing comes with a cover
- Colour screen is good with anti-glare
- Portable product
- Accessories are included
- Little information regarding the USB connection
- Software is of negligible use
The words might appear smaller on the screen. People wearing spectacles may have a hard time reading.
09. Hantek 1008C PC USB 8CH
Hantek 1008C PC USB 8CH is a reliable digital oscilloscope. The most exciting feature of the product is how lightweight yet efficient it is. Most importantly, it is packed with tremendous abilities and great features.
The 8-channel Oscilloscope is accessible on the pockets. It has a sampling rate of 2.4 MSa/sec. It also has sensor types, including airflow meter, lambda, distributor, throttle position, and crankshaft.
If you are trying to find the best this can be a good option considering it offers 8 channels. And yes, it is compatible with different platforms such as Windows 7, 2000, Vista, XP, and NT.
Small garage owners, technicians, DIY enthusiasts, and even home garage owners can invest in it. It does not create a dent in your pocket. That’s a significant relief for those who want a starter model. In addition, it does not cost a fortune!
- It is an 8-channel automotive oscilloscope.
- It has many sensor types – distributor, throttle position, airflow meter, lambda, crankshaft, and more.
- The sampling rate of 2.4MSa/sec
- DAQ Card function
- Lightweight product
- 4K Memory depth
- Brand: Hantek
- Model: 1008C
- Channel: 8
- Memory Depth: 4K
- Resolution: 12 bits
- 8 channels
- Good for learners.
- Easy to setup.
- The sample rate is lower than what has been claimed.
The product by Hantek is suitable for those who require an entry-level best automotive oscilloscope.
10. Autel MaxilM IM608
The scan tool provided by Autel is highly accurate and efficient. All the diagnostic tasks can be performed using this diagnostic device.
If you are having engine trouble, there is no need to head to an expensive repair person. However, you can use this scan tool for several works. The most intriguing feature is its size. Meanwhile, the Autel diagnostic tool is easy to carry and highly portable.
Autel, as a brand, has been around for more than 15 years. It continues to impress technicians and home garage owners.
The icing on the cake is that it is compatible with most car brands such as Toyota and Acura. Moreover, digital inspection is more comfortable with this automotive tool.
It also diagnoses complex vehicle problems. Hence, the product is incredibly useful. The MaxilM IM608 is on the expensive side. But since it is packed with features, a professional may not have trouble paying the price.
- Uses VCI to connect to the car
- Has an HD touchscreen of 8 inches
- Has the ability to diagnose complicated issues of the vehicle
- Based on the Android system
- Compatible with most of the car models across the globe
- All OBD2 tasks can be diagnosed with this tool
- Brand: Autel
- Model: MaxilM IM608
- Display: HD Touchscreen 8 inches
- Supremely easy to use
- Extremely portable product
- Built-in 8 mp camera
- Can diagnose complex vehicle issues
- You may need another charger for this
- The user manual is not as elaborate
The charger that comes along with the product has a European plug. You may need to buy an American one.
What to Consider When Buying the Best Automotive Oscilloscope?
It is always advisable to consider specific pointers before purchasing an automotive Oscilloscope.
Here’s a section, we will look at the things you need to consider when buying an automotive Oscilloscope.
Bandwidth is a significant specification to look out for in an automotive diagnostic oscilloscope. Certainly, it is the highest frequency signal that your scope will display. To get the precise demonstration of the waveform, one has to ensure that the automotive Oscilloscope had a higher bandwidth than the maximum signal frequency. Do note that if the bandwidth is unnecessarily higher. It could translate to unwanted signals or weird noise showing up on the Oscilloscope screen. Ideally, match the scope’s bandwidth to the measuring task on hand.
The majority of the products will come with matching probes. However, it is recommendable to buy an automotive oscilloscope that comes with the probes. If not, then you must purchase the probes from the same brand and not get a mismatch.
The probe’s bandwidth should be well-matched with the Oscilloscope.
Precise Input Channels
The more number of channels are there, the better it will be. When you choose the best automotive Oscilloscope, consider buying one with more channels. On second thoughts, it all boils down to the application. Further, you can select 4, 2, 8, or 10 channels. No matter what you choose, the channels should have a decent gain accuracy, linearity, good range, and static discharge resistance.
Moreover, it all depends on the number of signals you want to get displayed on the screen. For a quick diagnosis of a single signal, one channel is adequate.
Two channels are recommended for crankshaft/camshaft correlation and comprehending the signals from the sensors.
Oscilloscopes should not be difficult to operate. Even if you are using it occasionally, then still, it should be easy to use. The user interface should be easy to comprehend even by someone who is not technologically sound. The commonly used adjustments must have a dedicated knob. Additionally, the Oscilloscope must be responsive. Some scopes also have the option of providing support in your language.
Handheld oscilloscopes are easy to set up as compared to the PC scopes. Since there is no operating system in the handheld scopes, there will be fewer problems.
A PC oscilloscope allows you to save more data related to measurement. Also, it has a larger screen as compared to the handheld variant.
A Versatile Trigger
If there are complex waveforms, a versatile trigger allows you to zero in on the exact parts. Triggering is nothing but a much more stable display. Additionally, the majority of the diagnostic Oscilloscope provides ‘pulse width triggering.’
By opting for functional triggering, you will be able to see the display. Moreover, for those who have trouble viewing the signals, the versatile trigger makes it more precise and visible to the human eye.
While you are shopping for the best, look for this feature of improved visibility. Certainly, you never want to invest in a product that does not give a clear view of the signals.
Speedy Sampling Rate
The sample rate of the automotive Oscilloscope is akin to the movie camera frame rate. It concludes the amount of waveform detail that the scope can capture.
Ideally, one should use a sample rate of 5x than the highest frequency of the circuit.
FAQs on Best Automotive Oscilloscope
What is an automotive Oscilloscope used for?
The voltage is calculated and showcased as a time function. It allows the buyer/user to grasp a precise reading of a specific component’s overall performance at the exact moment. Moreover, if we use a similar hypothesis in the automotive industry, it will make sense.
The Oscilloscope can troubleshoot many minor/major issues of a vehicle.
You will find the digital Oscilloscope in every technician’s tool kit. Additionally, it is used by professionals from every technical field.
An oscilloscope is an efficient tool used for diagnosing circuits and sensors. The device is useful in troubleshooting actuators, sensors, communication data stream, solenoids, and primary/secondary ignitions.
It is also referred to as a motor tester or engine analyzer. Detecting sporadic issues is more comfortable and accurate with the automotive Oscilloscope as compared to other diagnostic devices.
There are many types of oscilloscopes available in the market that is useful for varied applications. The electronic test instrument is used by electronic technicians, automotive mechanics, computer experts, physicists, and medical practitioners. Above all, the main objective is to examine a signal’s waveform. To get accurate results, the technician should invest in the best automotive Oscilloscope.
What Does the Best Automotive Oscilloscope measure?
Oscilloscopes can measure voltage-based and time-based characteristics.
These include amplitude, minimum and maximum voltage, mean and average voltage, fall and rise time, frequency and period, and duty cycle.
How do I use the Oscilloscope?
Using the Oscilloscope is not as challenging.
– Please note that oscilloscopes need probes to get signal. –
Follow the steps:
- For starters, get accustomed to the controls on the Oscilloscope.
- Now, turn on the automotive Oscilloscope. Since you have not plugged in anything, you will find a flat line. It shows that there is no change in the voltage. In case you find any input, simply disconnect and start reconnecting. If you see a blank screen, ensure that you are on the right information. Meanwhile, make sure you evaluate the zoom as you may be focusing on a dark area of the screen.
- Now the user will connect the probe to the constituent/circuit they wish to measure. You will find that the flat line will change into a waveform.
- Once you get the signal on the screen, it is time to jump to the meas function.
- You will find the meas function button at the center of the device. It helps in analyzing signals.
- Try to fiddle with the system knobs (vertical and horizontal) to move the waveform across the screen.
- In case the wave is unstable, you can turn around the trigger knob position.
- You will now be able to verify how the component is working. The most challenging part of using the Oscilloscope is the controls. However, the controls for different components and circumstances are overwhelming.
How to choose the best automotive Oscilloscope?
Choosing an automotive oscilloscope is not an overwhelming task. You can lookout for the following factors to select the best automotive Oscilloscope:
- Find out the type of signal you want to measure.
- The number of channels – More number of inputs or channels will give you flexibility. If you have four channels, then it is easier to compare the multitude of signals. Certainly, having more number of channels makes your job easier and faster.
- Bandwidth – It is an important feature that you must look for in the best. It is best to use the ‘5’ time rule to select a product. The product’s bandwidth should be 5x the circuit’s maximum frequency. The probe should also have a similar bandwidth. Ideally, if the circuit frequency (maximum) is 20MHz, select a product that offers 100MHz of bandwidth.
- Trigger option – Find out how many trigger options are there on the device. The number of options you have, measuring the versatility will be enhanced. And, some signals are tricky to measure. Hence, trigger options should be decent.
- Probe – Get a product that comes with probes. Not only is it cost-efficient, but it will ensure compatibility. In case you plan to buy it separately, make sure you choose the same manufacturer to obtain the probes.
Can the Automotive Oscilloscope measure current?
Not every model offers this feature. But, in the year 2020, all the electronic devices can record current and measure. If you are using analog meters, altering the settings is recommendable.
When you choose it, you get advanced features that a professional is looking for.
What is the function of a probe?
The automotive Oscilloscope is beneficial if you can connect to a signal. For that, you require probes. Probes are input devices (single) that help in routing a signal from a particular circuit to the Oscilloscope. These devices have a sharp tip that points towards the circuit.
What is the main purpose of automotive oscilloscopes in the automotive industry?
An automotive oscilloscope can locate the issue with the vehicle. It is easier and faster as compared to using any other diagnostic tool.
The automotive Oscilloscope will diagnose the abnormalities in your vehicle. Hence, it is a useful tool to have. Technicians, garage owners (both small and home-based), and DIY/Automobile enthusiasts can use it to diagnose the problems in their automobile.
The market consists of both professional and beginner oscilloscopes. Indeed, you can choose one as per your preference or level of understanding.
Can Automotive Oscilloscope use to measure DC Voltage?
Yes, it is possible, but it entirely depends on the features which your automotive oscilloscope offers. It is easy with digital one but not possible with the analog version of the same to take the readings.
Consider this as a one-time investment and make an informed decision. It all boils down to your requirements. We hope that the best automotive oscilloscope reviews helped you to make a decision.
Besides, we spent a considerable amount of time to list the best products. The products listed above offer accurate results. Additionally, each of the product suits different budgets and requirements.
The market is filled with products. However, trimming down the list requires research, comparison, and analysis is our job. So, compare each of the products and find the best one. It also depends on the proficiency level of the user.
Are you a beginner? Are you a professional? Perhaps you are a DIY expert who requires a handy tool.
By answering these questions, you will be able to find the best product for yourself. Besides, your need of the hour may demand to purchase the product.
Nonetheless, an automotive oscilloscope is a useful tool. If you are planning to buy one, consider looking at our buying guide again.
In all honesty, we just want our readers to purchase the best one out there!
Our Other Resources: